Recent Freelance Production
- Editor, Producer, Videographer, Reaction to the Record, Stanford University Music Department, Palo Alto, 2008
- Editor, The Malibu Foundation,
Los Angeles, 2006.
- Editor, DVD author, Double O Productions, St Paul MN. 15 minute promotional
DVD for Meld, an organization that provides parenting education, 2004.
- Creative consulltant, editor, DVD Author, "Improvisations,"
45 minute DVD for Trevor Adams, 2004.
- Videography and editing, “Interview with Elmer Andersen”,
The Mary Hanson Show, for TPT, St Paul, 2004.
- Writer, videographer, editor, DVD author: “Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies”,
26 minute video produced by Minnesota International
Health Volunteers. 2003.
- Videographer, editor, co-producer: “Gaining Cultural Competency: Issues
of Domestic Violence in the Somali Immigrant Community," Hennepin County
Medical Center. 2003.
- Video compositing for “Dragon Fist, Hidden Gerbil, A Kung Fu Musical,”
for Jerungdu Productions, at the Red Eye Theater in Minneapolis, 2002.
- Interview videography, “Cabinet of Spells: Cinderella,” directed by Joanna
Kiernan, Stepsister Productions, New York, 2000.
- Additional clients 2000-2004: Sylvan
Learning Corporation, Laughlin
& Associates/Walker Art Center,
- Freelance Producer & Consultant, Careful Research, video
- Email support, Brave New Films, Culver City, CA, 2008
- Visiting Lecturer, CAFA, Beijing, 'Art+Film Intersection: Installations' 2007
- Administrative Director, Friends Western School, Pasadena, CA. 2006-2008
- Instructor, Independent Feature Project
North, 16mm filmmaking, Fall, 2003.
- Adjunct Faculty, St
Cloud State University, Department
of Theatre, Film Studies and Dance, 2002-2003.
- Professor, Minneapolis College of Art and Design,
1978 to 2002.
-----------Interim Director, Graduate Program, 1999.
-----------Interim Chair, Media Arts Division, Fall semester, 1989, and
- Administrative Assistant, Media Equipment Resource Center, Young Filmakers,
Inc., New York, NY, 1977-78.
- Teaching Assistant in art and film studies, Universities of California
at Santa Cruz and San Diego 1972-77.
- Teaching Aide and Substitute teacher, Santa Cruz City Schools, 197O-73.
- Editorial Assistant, "The Whole
Earth Catalog," Menlo Park, CA, 1969.
- Assistant Film Editor,
Ealing Films, Inc., Cambridge, Mass., 1967.
Education, Training, Software Skills
- MFA, Visual Arts, University of California,
San Diego, 1977.
- BA, cum laude, Fine Arts, Radcliffe
College, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, 1966.
- Mediator Training, 1994; Divorce Mediation Training, 2003; Minneapolis
- Computer Skills: Final Cut Pro, iMovie, DVD Studio Pro, iDVD, Vegas Video,
DVD Architect, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, Avid Express, Microsoft
Office, Filemaker Pro, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, Blackboard, WebCT.
- Administrative Director, Friends Western School, a Quaker elementary school in Pasadena, CA. 2006-2008
- Co-owner: Impact International Media,
a service business that provides unique programming for in-flight entertainment.
- Director of the Graduate Program (Interim), Minneapolis
College of Art and Design, (MCAD), 1999. Negotiated and managed budgets,
recruited mentors and students, coordinated admissions reviews, developed
curriculum, supervised MFA exhibition.
- Chair, Media Arts Division (Interim), MCAD, fall semester, 1989 and 1997-98.
Negotiated and managed budgets, scheduled classes, supervised review processes,
defined search criteria and interviewed potential teaching staff.
- Convener, Faculty Senate, MCAD, 1994 to 1997. Led faculty of sixty people.
Liaison between faculty and administration, worked closely with senior administrators,
participated in planning retreats and cabinet meetings, proposed and reviewed
innovations in academic evaluation, assessment, pedagogy and technology,
including online education and co-operative learning.
- Mediator, Minneapolis Mediation
Program, 1994 to present. Serve as a volunteer mediator, guiding parties
in alternative dispute resolution in community mediations, housing court
and conciliation court.
Grants and Awards
- Two Bush Foundation WANDA Grants for writing across the curriculum, 1993.
- Travel and Study Grant, Jerome, Dayton-Hudson, General Mills Foundations,
- Film In The Cities Project Grant, funded by the Jerome
- Film print purchased by Walker
Art Center, Minneapolis, 1990.
- First Prize, Experimental Short, USA
Film Festival, Dallas, 1989.
- Honorable Mention, Bucks County Film Festival, 1989.
- Included in Parabola Arts Foundation brochure, "Current Avant Garde Films
- Minnesota State Arts Board
Fellowship Grant, 1987.
- Film In The Cities Project Grant, funded by the Jerome Foundation, 1981.
- Faculty Enrichment Grants, MCAD, 1989, 1981, 1979.
Selected Screenings & Exhibitions
- 2004 Small Kindnesses, Weather Permitting, Minneapolis Rapid Transit kiosks
- 2002 Abjectify,
SOO Visual Arts Center, Minneapolis. Reviews.
- 2001, 1999,
1998, 1997,1994 MCAD Gallery, Faculty Exhibitions, Minneapolis.
- 2000 deFactory films, Walker Art Center, No
Name Exhibitions at The Soap Factory, Minneapolis.
- 2000 Multiplex 2000, No Name Exhibitions
at The Soap Factory, Minneapolis.
- 2000 Foot
in the Door show, Minneapolis Institute
of Art, Minneapolis.
- 1996 Artist Forum, Minnesota Museum of Art, St Paul.
- 1993 Red Eye Collaborative, Minneapolis.
- 1992 MNTV, KTCA Channel 2,
- 1990 Walker Art Center, Minneapolis.
- 1989 American Museum of the
Moving Image, New York City.
- -------Jerome Hill Theater, St. Paul.
- -------Riverplace Film Festival, Minneapolis.
- -------USA Film Festival, Dallas.
- 1988 London Filmmakers' Coop.
- 1987 Belltable Arts Centre, Limerick, Ireland.
- 1982 National tour of two films, Minnesota Touring Film Program.
- 1981 Collective for Living Cinema, New York City.
Juries, Workshops, Presentations, Publications
- New Media Jury, Illinois Arts Council, 2006
- Interdisciplinary/Performance Art Panel, Ohio Art Council December, 2004
- 'Hous-[E, Es, Ing] Architecture Studio,' University of Minnesota, College of Architecture and
Landscape Architecture (CALA), Walker Art Center, 2000
- Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Film Festival Emerging Makers Competition, 1999
- St Paul International Film Festival, March 1999.
- Respondent: University Film and Video
Association National Conference, 1988, 1998.
- Presentor, Intermedia Arts workshop for Educators, Summer Institute, 1995.1989.
- Instructor, workshop: Non-Linear Video Editing on the Mac, MCAD 1995.
- Juror, Minnesota Film and Video Showcase, Walker Art Center, 1992.
- Selection Committee, Parabola Art Foundation, NY, 1989, 199O.
- Panelist, NAMAC conference, Rochester, NY 1989.
- Juror, Michigan Arts Council, Detroit, 1984.
- Articles published in “Lightstruck,” Experimental Film Coalition, Chicago,
Service to the Profession
- Advisory board, SOO Visual Arts Center, Minneapolis, 2004
- ACommunity Neighborhood Advisory Committee, Walker Art Center, Minneapolis,
- Planning Committee, NAMAC national conference, Minneapolis, 2000.
- Intermedia Arts Video Archive Project, Minneapolis, 1993-97.
- Co-curated “Lifestories,” photography and video exhibition, MCAD gallery,
1986. Programmed ”Films by Women,” series shown as part of the exhibition.
Service in the Community
Top of Page
- Planner/Interviewer, Healthy Families Cooperative Needs Assessment, Western
Justice Center Foundation, Pasadena, 2005-2006.
- Faciltator/Coach, Many Voices, One World: 2005 Peer Mediation Invitational,
Western Justice Center Foundation,
- Member: Southern California
Mediation Association Arts Working Group, 2005.
- Board Member, SOO Visual Art Center, Minneapolis, 2004.
- Coordinated Volunteers for the Senior All Night Celebration, Minneapolis
South High School, 2003. Recruited and scheduled 60 volunteers.
- Counselor, Career Center, Minneapolis South High School, 2002-2003
- Coordinated Net Day, 1996.PTSO Meeting Chair, 1994-5, Site Based Management
Team,1994-5, Seward Montessori School, Minneapolis,
- School Committee, Friends School of Minnesota, 1990-92. Board Member,
Whittier Community Development Corporation, 1987-9O.